Wednesday, July 28, 2010

TOP DOWN, SMILE ON

Why do the majority of the convertibles that drive by me have their tops up? I don’t get it, if you’re lucky enough to have a convertible, why not use it? As I write this today, it’s a beautiful summer day in Maine, approaching 90 degrees with high humidity. You won’t hear any complaints from me. After all, it won’t be long before the snow flies and we’ll be talking about winter driving. So with summers so short here, why aren’t more convertible tops down?

The owner pays a premium when they buy a convertible. Not only is the purchase price more than the hardtop model, the car generally weighs more, impacting its fuel economy. A convertible swallows trunk space to accommodate the top, and insurance rates are higher for soft tops. These sacrifices must have been worth it, or they wouldn’t have bought a convertible in the first place. The freedom of fresh air and the open highway is priceless. The driver of a convertible can hear the birds chirp, smell the flowers bloom, and the can howl to the moon overhead. So why aren’t their tops down?

Could it be because the dream of the freedom of a convertible is not all that it’s cracked up to be? Do the flowers actually smell more like diesel exhaust? Is it because it’s too hot, too cold, or too windy? Are these top up convertible drivers avoiding sunburn on their bald spots, or is it that they have too much hair and don’t want to go home a tangled mess? Is the top up for fear of birds on bombing runs, or is it just too much work to press a button to put the top down? Or, could it be that they are suffering buyers’ remorse, and that they just aren’t convertible people?

I've never owned a convertible, so I can't criticize or judge the decisions of others. However, there is something really enticing to me about the freedom of open air driving. It seems to me that if I had bought a convertible, and paid a premium for it, I would take advantage of beautiful days like today. On the other hand, I might look pretty foolish in mid-February wondering, “What did I do, a convertible in Maine?”

MaineAutoMall.com Auto Blog

Promote Your Page Too

8 comments:

mary said...

Hello,It's mary here, I like comments.This Tim Simple guy who wrote the article is dead wrong. These cars do have their idiosyncrasies, and they are not fast (unless you have a turbo), but they are bullet proof. The drive trains (for tom simple that means engine and transmission) on these cars are likely the best ever built.auto auctions

mary said...

Hello,It's mary here, I like comments.This Tim Simple guy who wrote the article is dead wrong. These cars do have their idiosyncrasies, and they are not fast (unless you have a turbo), but they are bullet proof. The drive trains (for tom simple that means engine and transmission) on these cars are likely the best ever built.auto auctions

Unknown said...

I also ask that to myself. But my best friend is different; she loves to drive her convertible top down to feel the breeze and the sunlight on her skin. She said it makes her feel more alive when touched by the sunlight. But above all she loves her car; she got it from auto dealer Los Angeles, who gave her the best service product. She has been dreaming of the car since we were in high school. Actually she always imagines herself on that car but now she is no longer imagining. Thanks to Los Angeles used car dealer for helping her make it into reality.

Sandra Jolly said...

I really enjoyed reading what you had to say.You have lots of good ideas.This is really great stuff.Keep going.Thanks for sharing.
Used RVs

Alex K. said...

Hello Mr. Taylor. Apologies for reaching out to you in this method as I couldn't find where your email was displayed.

The Photo of the blue convertible Mustang GT was one used on my blog and is now featured on my automotive website, AutoKinesis :http://auto-kinesis.com/2009/06/behind-the-wheel-2010-mustang-gt-convertible/

The photo was also part of the shoot used for my article on autosavant.com in '09: http://www.autosavant.com/2009/06/23/2010-ford-mustang-gt-convertible-first-drive/

At your earliest convenience, please credit the photo to the AutoKinesis link above, or kindly choose a different image to replace it. My contact info can be found on my website if you wish to reach out to me directly. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. have a safe and happy summer.

-Alex K-

William N. Taylor said...

So sorry, Alex. My apologies to you. The still has been deleted.

Happy motoring!

Bill

Alex K. said...

No worries, Bill. Thank you for your understanding. I wish you and your readers a great summer!

-Alex K-

Unknown said...

Only One word to characterize such a great post “WOW” that was a very interesting read
Online Clothes Shopping